Microsoft has made its personal digital assistant – Cortana – more comprehensive to Windows 10 with every major update. Aside from browsing your computer, it displays notifications, you can send emails, set reminders, and do all of that using your voice. how to uninstall cortana many of us asked me this question.
Some may find it too intrusive though, and would rather turn off the helper. While you could turn Cortana off with a single switch in the days before the anniversary upgrade, that’s no longer possible. And with the recent update of Windows 10 Creators, disabling Cortana can completely break the search, according to reports, with the only way to fix it being a clean install.
If you’re still bent on plugging the plug into Cortana’s capabilities in Windows 10, there are ways to do that. You can remove the tools you use to learn about you, or you can turn it off completely.
Prevents Cortana from knowing you
First, let’s head to Cortana’s setup to cut out all the different ways he oversees the habits of his computer. That is how:
- Click the search box or the Cortana icon next to the Start key.
- Open the Cortana configuration panel with the gear icon.
- In the settings screen, turn off all options from On to Off.
- Then scroll to the top of the settings panel and click Change what Cortana knows about me in the cloud.
- Microsoft will search for a web page called Personal Information in the same Home panel.
- When charging, scroll to the bottom and press Clear.
To serve you better, Cortana collects data about your typing and speaking, too. If you want to turn it off, follow these steps:
- Press the Start key.
- Click the gear configuration icon.
- Select Privacy.
- In the left pane, search for Speech, Inking, and Typing.
- Click Stop to get to know me.
Remember that turning off this will also turn off dictation in Windows 10. If it is a service you trust, you will have to support Windows “knowing you”.
Completely turn off Cortana
Once you have gone through the above steps, Cortana will not respond to your voice. But it keeps running in the background, waiting to be called.
To get rid of it completely, more needs to be done. Depending on the version of Windows 10 you use – Start, Pro or Enterprise – the steps will be slightly different.
How to uninstall Cortana in Windows 10 Pro
- Press the Start key, select Edit Group Policy, and open it.
- Go to Computer Configuration> Administrative Templates> Windows Components> Search.
- Look for Allow Cortana and double-click to open it.
- Click Disabled, and then press OK.
How to uninstall Cortana in Windows 10
The process is slightly more complicated and involves editing the Windows Registry. If you do not feel comfortable with this process, we recommend that you make a backup or establish a restore point.
- Press the Start key, search for regedit and open it.
- Go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE> SOFTWARE> Policies> Microsoft> Windows.
- Right-click the Windows directory and select New> Key. Type Windows Search and press enter.
- Select Windows Search. In the right side pane, right-click the empty area and choose New> DWORD Value (32-bit). Type AllowCortana and press enter.
- Double-click AllowCortana and type 0 under Value data.
Reboot your computer, and Cortana must now have disappeared. Instead of “Ask me something”, the new search box will just say “Search in Windows“.
Have you had problems after any of the above steps? Let us know through the comments below.